Friday, March 8, 2013

World Class Techs and Some Other Random Thoughts

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/news-service-repair/aaia-and-ase-recogni- ze-world-class-technicians?cid=95883

This article came out this week announcing the names of these techs who have been recognized for passing twenty-two ASE certification exams. It touched off a bit of a debate in the iATN about just how relevant the ASE and even the iATN are inside our trade and it parallels what you can see inside this very thread. Gimmestdtranny probably felt like I was roughing him up a bit for trying to solve that diagnostic on that Silverado, and it probably did come off that way when that really wasn't the intent. Roadburner has made a couple posts that I took as degrading to techs and when I questioned what his background was I felt that he thought that he was beyond such scrutiny. There is a double standard at play here, and it mirrors what it is like to be a professional technician. Gimmestdtranny clearly noticed it as he pointed out that he felt he had to defend me and I thank him for that, but it really shouldn't be that way.

I find people question my capabilities as a technician on a daily basis, I'm just supposed to accept and deal with it. It's always been that way and that of course isn't something that I personally deal with as good as I should. The funny thing is, the lack of being good at that kind of situation is the very thing that drives me to study all of the time, with the expectation that I should eventually rise above having to deal with that. You can call that one of those situations where my greatest weakness is also my greatest strength.

So where do I stand, next to those 1863 individuals through the years who have sat down to prove their knowledge. I have ten, all of the automotive A-1 through A-8 to be recognized as an ASE Master Tech. I have had those and stayed current with them since 1982. Plus I have the A9 Automotive Diesel, and the L1 advanced diagnostics. What they have that I don't is the Heavy Duty truck series of tests, and its not a matter of if I can pass them or not, I have no interest in trying to prove that I might be able to pass a test on work that I don't do. Does that make me less of a technician in regards to the work that I do? It shouldn't. But yet when we had the debates about the correct way to address even the dreaded evaporative system leak, suddenly it was like all of the experience and study and training that I have had no value when pitted against an opinion. I actually expect to see debates like that try and play the price angle and of course that happened here as if that really has anything to do with whether a leak is a frozen vent valve, or a loose gas cap. But seriously, it's like that everyday anyway and even when we are right, someone else is sure we are wrong and they don't even have to prove that they can change a flat tire prior to them proclaiming their competence.

There will be a price to be paid someday for the biases against the trade. We haven't been able to attract the people that you need us to have in order to replace our aging work force for a long time. Even if we could fix that part today, it would still be some twenty years for anyone who comes in now to really be competent to the level that the consumer demands.
For anyone that reads this, that last statement is meant to be a blast of reality.

If you believe you would make a competent technician and have faith and trust on your present capabilities, but have not and especially are not presently working as a technician. Then you really are about twenty years short of the hard work and study that it takes to be a master technician that the consumer demands. It's not about any successes that you may have under your belt, in this trade you are only judged by your latest failure, even if you then managed to overcome it. You can only be good at limiting the failures, with genuine shop experience over a long period of time.

I was talking to a salesperson from one of the parts chains. She was telling me her sales to shops are really down since last year and she had taken some time to try and find out why. Two guys had passed away, and of course their shops were now gone. Four more simply went out of business, and she had two others who were struggling to pay their bills and on the verge of failing even though they have cars all over their lots. This is a story that is being repeated in a lot of places. In a lot of the cases the biggest problem is the shop owners need to get some management training, and that would result in them getting their techs more training and they would then get more of those cars and their businesses moving. The problem is I think these guys are all just simply burning out and are quitting fighting. That's something that consumers should actually be worried about. There is no one to replace these people and even the ones who are struggling are a lot better than you probably think they are. JMHO

No comments:

Post a Comment